At MOCU, we don't only care about a healthy lifestyle but a healthy planet as well. Our oceans are becoming filled with plastics and we must all make changes to cut down on our plastic consumption
Mind Blowing Facts About Plastics in the Ocean
- Plastic is the most common element that is found in the ocean and marine life mistake it for food
- Every day approximately 8 million pieces of plastic pollution find their way into our oceans.
- There may now be around 5.25 trillion macro and microplastic pieces floating in the open ocean. Weighing up to 269,000 tonnes.
- Plastics consistently make up 60 to 90% of all marine debris studied.
- Scientists have recently discovered microplastics embedded deep in the Arctic ice.
- There is more microplastic in the ocean than there are stars in the Milky Way.
- Over one million seabirds are killed by ocean pollution each year.
- Three hundred thousand dolphins and porpoises die each year as a result of becoming entangled in discarded fishing nets, among other items.
- One hundred thousand sea mammals are killed in the ocean by pollution each year.
- More than 50 percent of sea turtles have consumed plastic.
- There is an island of garbage twice the size of Texas inside the Pacific Ocean: the North Pacific Gyre off the coast of California is the largest oceanic garbage site in the entire world. There, the number of floating plastic pieces outnumbers total marine life six to one in the immediate vicinity.
- The average U.S. citizen consumes 167 plastic water bottles each year—but recycles just 25 percent of them.